Whether you are having a cough or some injuries or any other problem, “Haldi Doodh” or Turmeric milk is the ultimate solution in Indian households. And yes, there’s a reason behind it. Researchers are still exploring the benefits of Turmeric, but here are some of the most known:
1. Turmeric has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help digestion. It raised the secretion of bile juice in the gall bladder resulting in better digestion and reduce bloating. It can easily aid an upset stomach and treat the effects of food poisoning.
2. Turmeric safeguards from viral and fungal infections like the flu. Lipopolysaccharide is the compound responsible for boosting the immune system as it has antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties.
3. Turmeric helps in PMS (Pre-menstrual Syndrome) as it has curcumin. The bioactive compound has an anti-inflammatory and neurologic property that ensures balanced psychological and physical changes, reducing PMS. It also eases menstrual cramps and disturbed abdomen.
4. Turmeric has antioxidants that modulate blood sugar levels and insulin levels of the body, preventing Type2 diabetes. Curcumin, being an anti-inflammatory agent, also treats inflammation due to diabetes.
5. Turmeric controls cholesterol and reduces LDL or bad cholesterol due to the presence of curcumin. It also safeguards arteries from numerous dangerous effects and lowers a heart attack risk after bypass surgery.
6. It is a proven factor that Turmeric reduces excessive weight, controlling blood sugar and cholesterol levels. It affects a person’s BMI or body-mass index, maintains metabolism in the body, and fights-off obesity.
7. Turmeric is loaded with antioxidants that increase the number of vital enzymes in the body. It helps to upgraded blood circulation and detoxification of blood results in an improved liver-health.
8. Regulating the cholesterol level itself makes Turmeric helpful to the heart. But it also controls BP and prevents blood clotting in vessels; this results in no–artery blockages. Having antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of Turmeric and curcumin’s presence uplifts the function of a tissue named endothelium. All this adds up to a healthy heart.
9. Being a natural antiseptic and antibacterial, Turmeric heals cut and burn. Its properties make it a comparable disinfectant.
10. Turmeric helps in teeth whitening by fighting-off bacteria and reduces gum-inflammation or gingivitis. It also gives relief from toothache and cures the paling of teeth.
11. The bioactive compound curcumin itself helps depression by reducing anxiety, stress- levels, and other problems like boosting up antidepressants.
12. Turmeric effectively aids various severe headaches like a migraine. Curcumin stimulates the hormone BDNF and uplifts the production of new neurons that helps fight-off neurodegenerative diseases.
Skin Benefits of Turmeric
In Indian weddings, Haldi is applied to the bride and groom’s bodies, and the tradition is called “Haldi Rasm.” The science behind this tradition is the benefits that Turmeric provides our skin. It has various benefits that add up to the beauty and glow of the couple. Discussing a few beauty-benefits, here goes the list:
1. Being a natural antiseptic, Turmeric effectively treats acne and pimples. The antibacterial property helps in preventing such problems while anti-inflammatory property reduces redness and swollen spot.
2. Turmeric helps dark circles around the eye by increasing circulation in the skin. It is a lightening agent, and its anti-inflammatory property gets your eyes back to normal by reducing puffiness.
3. Turmeric treats acne and pimple and ensures no evidence has left on the face. It removes hyperpigmentation and marks/scars left by acne. Curcumin accelerates the production of melanin that results in the fading of scars.
4. Curcumin has some powerful antioxidants that help the skin to get repaired. It also lightens and brightens up dark areas and brings out the natural skin tone. Curcumin makes Turmeric a natural skin-lightening agent that also treats sun-damage effectively.
5. The antioxidants present in Turmeric lighten the appearance of stretch marks and prevent it too. The skin-lightening effect of turmeric and lime juice will do the job.
6. Turmeric can be helpful to dry skin type. It moisturizes and pulls out dead skin cells that are responsible for dryness. Turmeric tea can hydrate your dry skin and make it softer and healthier.
7. Turmeric helps to cure several aging symptoms. Turmeric quickly encounters wrinkles, fine lines, and dull skin problems as it repairs damage caused by free radicals and acts as an anti-aging agent.
Hair Benefits of Turmeric
Some decades ago, one of the most favorite Indian festivals, “Holi,” was celebrated with natural colors that were made with natural ingredients. Turmeric was indeed used in the making of subtle yellow color as it is not only harmless but also beneficial for skin and hair. Some of the benefits of Turmeric for hair discussed below:
1. The anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties of Turmeric make it helpful in reducing dandruff. It soothes the itching problem and cleans up the scalp that adds up to dandruff-free hair.
Apply a mix of ¼ teaspoon of powdered-turmeric and 2 tablespoons of coconut or olive oil on the scalp and let it sit for half an hour. Proceed with shampoo and rinse it off.
2. Hair loss comes as a bonus with scalp infections and dandruff. But no worries if you have Turmeric, it reduces dandruff as stated above and prevents hair loss. Also, with regular use, it can even promote hair growth.
Apply a mix of Turmeric and olive oil in equal parts, leave for 15 minutes, and wash it off, proceeding with shampoo.
Fighting-off Diseases with Turmeric
Serving several health, skin, and hair benefits is just a glimpse of what Turmeric can do. Curcumin, a bioactive compound found in Turmeric, is extensively used in the medication of various diseases. It has many such properties that help cure serious problems.
Turmeric’s anti-inflammatory property treats inflammation due to Alzheimer’s and plays a vital role in its cure. Also, it encounters joint pains due to Arthritis. Antioxidants found in it encounter free radicals responsible for cell damage and adds up to Arthritis treatment.
Gastrointestinal (GI) diseases are productively treated with the consumption of Turmeric. The antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants help get you relief from various GI diseases like Colitis, Diarrhea, Uterine Tumour, Ulcers, and Dyspepsia. It upgrades the secretion of several salient hormones that aid most of the digestive disorders.
A very few people know that Turmeric is useful in some specific cancers. It is contented with enzymes that eliminate the tumor or cancer cells’ growth and treat Pancreatic, Prostate, and Multiple Myeloma cancer.
Turmeric also treats other skin diseases like Eczema and Psoriasis. Many age-related problems, including Alzheimer’s, are cured as well.
Turmeric is also a natural painkiller that increases blood circulation and encounters pain.
Side-effects of Turmeric
● Consumption of Turmeric can lead to excess bleeding during menstruation. It can get worse with surgery. There is a high chance of heavy bleeding during and after surgery. It is always advised to stop consuming Turmeric 2 weeks before the scheduled surgery.
● Should NOT be taken if already undergoing any diabetic medication. It can lead to a too-low blood sugar level that is dangerous.
● If taken in high amounts, Turmeric can lead to diarrhea and nausea. Also, it must NOT be taken if having gallbladder problems.
● If the limit is crossed, turmeric consumption can prevent the body from absorption of iron and might result in iron–deficient diseases.
Adding Turmeric in your diet
Now you know all the reasons why “Haldi Doodh” is the ultimate solution in Indian households, why there is a “Haldi Rasm” in Indian weddings etc.
Indians consume it every day through their lunch and dinner as a spice, but some other better ways of consuming it and adding in your daily diet. Some of them are as follows:
● Haldi doodh or Golden milk is one of the preferable ways of consuming it.
● Turmeric tea is another best and advised way to consume Turmeric regularly.
● A pinch of turmeric powder in smoothies is always a good option as it gives a tempting color and quite salty-spicy taste.
● Sprinkling or adding turmeric powder in vegetable soups enhances the flavor.
● Combining Turmeric with meat or chicken gives it a golden color and makes it hard to resist.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. How much is the consumption of Turmeric safe in a day?
The consumption of powdered Turmeric should be around 1200-1800mg, of the dried root should be 2-2.5g. And a couple of cups of turmeric tea is good enough in a day.
Q2. Does Turmeric lead to infertility in men?
Yes, but only if consumed in high amounts. Men who want to be parents should not consume it much as it leads to reduced testosterone levels.
Q3. Is Turmeric safe during pregnancy?
It is safe and beneficial in a limited amount but can be very harmful in a high amount. It causes uterus contraction and, in worst cases, leads to miscarriage.
Q4. Is it OK to consume Turmeric every day?
Yes. It is always beneficial in a limited amount and can do wonders for your health, but it leads to many side-effects if the limit is crossed.
Q5. What is the best way to consume Turmeric regularly?
Turmeric tea is the best and efficient way of consuming it every day. A couple of cups in a day is good enough to keep you healthy.
Q6. Is it OK to consume Turmeric on an empty stomach?
Yes. You can consume it on an empty stomach, but it can be more beneficial and productive with a meal.
Q7. Is it OK to consume Turmeric before sleep?
Yes. It lowers anxiety and stress levels and keeps you calm. All this adds up to make you sleep better and more profound.
Researchers are still exploring the benefits of Turmeric, but we have tried our best to provide you with some of the most notable and proved ones. It can help keep you healthy and prevent several problems but crossed limits always come up with side-effects. Please take it in a decent and right amount and keep yourself fit without any medication.